Is your phone being a pain in the neck?
There is no denying that technology has transformed the way we live, but we are spending more and more time glued to our mobile devices.
Australians spend 10 hours and 24 minutes on average engaging with their mobile devices every day. (1) . Within five minutes of waking up in the morning 35% of us check our phones, and 70% use phones during mealtimes with family and friends. (2) . This excessive reliance on digital devices is taking a toll on our bodies.
Looking down hunched over mobile devices puts excessive strain on the neck which can cause neck pain. This is now commonly referred to as 'Text Neck'.
Here are some Tips
To help avoid text neck and other spinal health issues resulting from poor posture and excessive use of mobile devices, try the following:
- Change the way you hold your phone - bring the screen to eye level so your head is not slouched forward. This way you don't have to be in a forward-head posture for long periods of time.
- Take regular breaks from mobile devices. For example, don't check your phone while commuting.
- Get social with family or friends. Have a 'no phone policy' during dinner. You'll enjoy your meal even more without the distraction!
Chiro Can Help
Stretching can help alleviate neck pain and discomfort caused by text neck. Seek advice from your chiropractor Dr. Miriam Kendall about which stretching exercises are suitable for you.
Depending on your circumstances, Dr Kendall may suggest a variety of techniques to help improve range of motion and function and will develop a program of care that may combine more than one type of treatment, depending on your needs. In addition to chiropractic adjustments, a care plan may include mobilisation, massage, rehabilitative exercises, as well as dietary and lifestyle advice.
(1) 'Australian consumers spending more than 10 hours of every day on their digital devices.', 2016, Ernst & Young, www.ey.com
(2) Mobile Consumer Survey 2017: The Australian Cut, Deloitte, https://www2.deloitte.com/au/mobile-consumer-survey
We are searching for the perfect team members to compliment our team.
If you know of an incredible myotherapist, remedial massage therapist, acupuncturist, exercise physiologist, podiatrist or psychologist... be sure to pass on our details!
School holidays are a great time to get your kids posture, health & development checked.
Ketogenic Lifestyle - Will be returning soon due to popular demand
Chiropractic for Beginners - Coming Soon
Winter Wellness - Coming Soon
We Love Chiropractic
Magnesium Massage Oil with Pure Essential Oils
- 1/2 cup magnesium chloride flakes
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- a glass bowl or glass measuring cup
- a glass spray bottle
- a few drops of Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oil (I love Doterra's AromaTouch)
- Boil the distilled water. It is important to use distilled to extend the shelf life of the mixture.
- Place the magnesium chloride flakes in the glass bowl or measuring cup and the pour the boiling water over it.
- Stir well until completely dissolved. Let cool completely and store in the spray bottle. Can be stored at room temperature for at least six months.
Note: Magnesium can be quite tingly on the skin. If this bothers you, dilute your mixture with more water or another carrier oil like sweet almond oil or coconut oil. We recommend applying magnesium oil at night to help promote a restful sleep, however you can rinse it off after 20 - 30 minutes if you prefer.
- Sustainably sourced natural latex from the rubber tree
Dr Miriam Kendall
How to find us
- Look for the Bright Green Wellness Centre at 18 Point Cook Road
- Conveniently located between 2 roundabouts at Seabrook Boulevard & Central Avenue
- Located just off Princess Freeway's Point Cook/Laverton exit
- Aircraft Train Station (Werribee Line) is a short 5 minute walk away
- Bus stops 496 and 498 are located right outside